HMC5883L IC Three-Axis Digital Compass Magnetometer Module
The Honeywell HMC5883L is a surface-mount, multi-chip module designed for low-field magnetic sensing with a digital interface for applications such as lowcost compassing and magnetometry. The HMC5883L includes our state-of-threat, high-resolution HMC118X series magneto-resistive sensors plus an ASIC containing amplification, automatic degaussing strap drivers, offset cancellation, and a 12-bit ADC that enables 1° to 2° compass heading accuracy. The I2C serial bus allows for easy interface. The HMC5883L is a 3.0x3.0x0.9mm surface mount 16-pin leadless chip carrier (LCC). Applications for the HMC5883L include Mobile Phones, Netbooks, Consumer Electronics, Auto Navigation
Systems, and Personal Navigation Devices.
The HMC5883L utilizes Honeywell’s Anisotropic Magnetoresistive (AMR) technology that provides advantages over other magnetic sensor technologies. These anisotropic, directional sensors feature precision in-axis sensitivity and linearity. These sensors’ solid-state construction with very low cross-axis sensitivity is designed to measure both the direction and the magnitude of Earth’s magnetic fields, from milli-gauss to 8 gauss. Honeywell’s Magnetic Sensors are among the most sensitive and reliable low-field sensors in the industry.
• 3-Axis Magnetoresistive Sensors and ASIC in a 3.0x3.0x0.9mm LCC Surface Mount Package
• 12-Bit ADC Coupled with Low Noise AMR Sensors Achieves 5 milli-gauss Resolution in ±8 Gauss Fields
• Built-In Self Test
• Low Voltage Operations (2.16 to 3.6V) and Low Power Consumption (100 μA) Built-In Strap Drive Circuits
• I2C Digital Interface
• Lead Free Package Construction
• Wide Magnetic Field Range (+/-8 Oe)
• Fast 160 Hz Maximum Output Rate