BQ2057 Battery Charger IC (4.2V) Li-Ion, Li-Pol
The BENCHMARQ bq2057 series advanced Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) and Lithium-Polymer (Li-Pol) linear charge-management ICs are designed for cost-sensitive and compact portable electronics. They combine high-accuracy current and voltage regulation, battery conditioning, temperature monitoring, charge termination, charge-status indication, and AutoComp charge-rate compensation in a single 8-pin IC. MSOP, TSSOP, and SOIC package options are offered to fit a wide range of end applications.
The bq2057continuously measures battery temperature using an external thermistor. For safety, the bq2057 inhibits charge until the battery temperature is within user-defined thresholds. The bq2057 then charges the battery in three phases: conditioning, constant current, and constant voltage. If the battery voltage is below the low-voltage threshold, V(min), the bq2057 precharged using a low current to condition the battery. The conditioning charge rate is approximately 10% of the regulation current. The conditioning current also minimizes heat dissipation in the external pass-element during the initial stage of the charge. After conditioning, the bq2057 applies a constant current to the battery. An external sense-resistor sets the current. The sense-resistor can be on either the high or low side of the battery without additional components. The constant-current phase continues until the battery reaches the charge-regulation voltage.
The bq2057 then begins the constant-voltage phase. The accuracy of the voltage regulation is better than ±1% over the operating-temperature and supply-voltage ranges. For single and dual cells, the bq2057 is offered in four fixed-voltage versions:4.1 V, 4.2 V, 8.2 V, and 8.4 V. Charge stops when the current tapers to the charge termination threshold, I(TERM). The bq2057 automatically restarts the charge if the battery voltage falls below the V(RCH) threshold.
The designer also may use the AutoComp feature to reduce charging time. This proprietary technology allows safe and dynamic compensation for the internal impedance of the battery pack during charge.
- Battery Charge Voltage: 4.2V
- Battery IC Case Style: SOIC
- Battery Type: Li-Ion, Li-Pol
- Charge Current Max:2A
- Input Voltage: 15V
- MSL: MSL 1 - Unlimited
- No. of Pins: 8
- No. of Series Cells:1
- Operating Temperature Max: 70°C
- Operating Temperature Min: -20°C
- Packaging: Each
- Ideal for Single(4.1 V or 4.2 V) and Dual-Cell (8.2 V or 8.4 V) Li-Ion or Li-Pol Packs
- Requires SmallNumber of External Components
- 0.3 V dropout voltage for Minimizing Heat Dissipation
- Better Than ±1%Voltage Regulation Accuracy With Preset Voltages
- AutoComp™ DynamicCompensation of Battery Pack’s Internal Impedance to Reduce Charge Time
- OptionalCell-Temperature Monitoring Before and During Charge
- Integrated Voltage and Current Regulation With Programmable Charge-Current and High-or Low-SideCurrent Sensing
- Integrated CellConditioning for Reviving Deeply Discharged Cells and Minimizing HeatDissipation During Initial Stage Of Charge
- Charge status output for Single or Dual Led or Host Processor Interface
- automatic battery-Recharge Feature
- Charge Terminationby Minimum Current
- AutomaticLow-Power Sleep Mode When VCC Is Removed
- EVMs Available for quick Evaluation
- Packaging: 8-PinSOIC, 8-Pin TSSOP, 8-Pin MSOP